Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Describe an artist, actress/actor, singer/musician, movie, play, or book

1. Choose an artist, actress/actor, singer/musician, movie, play, or book that you really love. You are going to do some research about your choice and write a brief descriptive essay.

2. Brainstorm some research questions. For example, if I chose the movie Fight Club, these are some questions I can ask:
  • What is the plot of the movie? (Plot=story)

  • Did the plot make sense or was it confusing?

  • What were the visuals like? Did it have good special effects?

  • What were the characters like in the film?

  • What was the acting like?

  • What is my favorite part about the film?

  • Who is my favorite character from that film?

  • What, specifically, make me like this film so much?

  • What kinds of values or ideas about life does this film suggest?

  • Was there anything I didn't like about this film?
These are all just general questions. I probably would not use all of them as research questions, but at least I have several to choose from. Now, you brainstorm some questions about your topic. Write them down.


3. Now choose the three most interesting research questions to think about. These are the three questions from my brainstorm that I would probably choose:
  • Who is my favorite character from that film?

  • What, specifically, make me like this film so much?

  • What kinds of values or ideas about life does this film suggest?
4. Now, use these questions to do some further research about your topic. Make sure that you take notes. You will use these notes to make a brief presentation about your topic.


5. Organize your notes. Make sure that you have an introduction and a conclusion.

No comments: