1. Think about the different kinds of volunteering you have done. What was it? Did you enjoy it?
2. Go to www.volunteermatch.org. This website is a search-engine for different kinds of volunteering that you can do in different places.
3. Use the search function to find a place to volunteer. You can search by US city or state, or you can search by the kind of thing you are interested in, for example "environment" or "health."
4. Choose one of the volunteer opportunities from your search and note the following:
- The organization--tell us briefly about what the organization is and what they do.
- The area of focus of the volunteer work (women, environment, education, etc...)
- Description of the volunteer work
- Are there any qualifications that a volunteer needs?
- What is the cost, if any, of the program?
6. Now go to http://www.volunteerabroad.com/search.cfm. This is a website of volunteer opportunities around the world.
7. Use the search function to find a volunteer opportunity. You can search by region, country, and type of volunteer work. I did a search and found a volunteer opportunity to live with a family in Jordan and teach them English, which sounds interesting to me! Find something you are interested in.
8. Note the following information about the volunteer opportunity:
- The name of the organization and other relevant information about it.
- A description and duration of the volunteer program. What are the responsibilities of volunteers?
- What kinds of qualifications, if any, does a volunteer need?
- Does the program cost anything?
- Any other information you think is relevant.